Some celebrations are very special. Your companies 150th anniversary is just such a celebration. So when the shipping and logistics company DFDS reached 150 in 2016 - they decided to do something very special indeed.
DFDS didn't just want to create something to mark the occasion, it was important to them to make sure that all of the company could be involved and become part of the celebrations - all 7000 staff in 75 offices across a continent!
Warren Elsmore worked with the DFDS team from the very beginning to create a once in a lifetime event. The original brief was simple to build 'the biggest LEGO ship in the world', but it took months of planning to bring that to fruition or to make it even possible. Using our experience of not only LEGO, but also logistics, shipping and most importantly consumer events - we were able to decide on the build process and way in which we would bring this brief to life.
Whilst DFDS staff in every office, port and ship(!) constructed 'big bricks' to become part of the ship, Warren Elsmore staff got to work ready to receive these bricks and build them into the largest LEGO Ship in the world.
DFDS CEO Niels Smedegaard says it best on behalf of DFDS and Warren Elsmore - "This is who we are"
Warren Elsmore ltd provided a complete service to DFDS, including;
- Original project workshopping to take an 'impossible' idea into something that could be created
- 3D CAD design of the ship for board approval
- LEGO brick estimation and order list, plus all materials required by staff to build the 'big bricks'
- LEGO plans and prototype model
- Design, fabrication through a trusted third party and delivery of the internal steel framework
- Sourcing and rental of a build location large enough to hold the ship
- Sourcing and supply if all ancillary lighting, electrics, theming, graphics etc.
- Goods handling for 1.2 million LEGO bricks from 70 locations
- Ship assembly!
- Personal attendance at the launch event and a number of high profile events throughout the ships' tour.
- Ongoing maintenance throughout Europe
- Creation of a 2meter LEGO Christmas tree, to celebrate the London Trafalgar square christmas tree, which is also carried by DFDS.