Some celebrations are very special. Your company's 150th anniversary is just such a celebration. So when the shipping and logistics company DFDS reached 150 in 2016 they decided to do something very special indeed.
DFDS didn't just want to create something to mark the occasion, it was important to them to make sure that everyone in the company could be involved and become part of the celebrations - all 7,000 staff in 75 locations across a continent!
Warren Elsmore worked with the DFDS team from the very beginning to create a once-in-a-lifetime event. The original brief was simply to build 'the biggest LEGO ship in the world', but it took months of planning to make that even possible and to bring it to fruition. Using our experience not only of LEGO, but also logistics, shipping, project management and most importantly consumer events, we were able to decide on the build process and the way in which we would bring this brief to life.
Whilst DFDS staff in every office, port and ship(!) constructed 'big bricks' to become part of the ship, Warren Elsmore staff got to work ready to receive these bricks and build them into the largest LEGO Ship in the world.
DFDS CEO Niels Smedegaard says it best on behalf of DFDS and Warren Elsmore - "This is who we are"
Warren Elsmore ltd provided a complete service to DFDS, including:
- Original project workshopping to take an 'impossible' idea into something that could be created
- 3D-CAD design of the ship for board approval
- LEGO brick estimation & order list, plus all materials required by staff to build the 'big bricks'
- LEGO plans and prototype model
- Design, fabrication through a trusted third party & delivery of the internal steel framework
- Sourcing & rental of a build location large enough for the project
- Sourcing & supply of all ancillary lighting, electrics, theming, graphics etc.
- Goods handling for 1.2 million LEGO bricks from over 70 locations
- Ship assembly!
- Personal attendance at the launch event & a number of high profile events throughout the ship's tour.
- Ongoing maintenance throughout Europe
- Creation of a 2metre LEGO Christmas tree, to celebrate the London Trafalgar square christmas tree, which is also carried by DFDS.